Before worrying about malic, make sure your juice has enough acid to
begin with. Much cider is made without real cider apples. The result is
you need to add tartaric. I have a heavy duty juicer, which I use it
when making apple wine. I usually use granny smith apples and blend
with a white wine. Depending on the blend, you can have plenty of
malic. I enjoy it myself, and do not introduce a malactic culture.
Tim
Tom S wrote:
> "Vic Whirlwind" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I am making about 35 gallons of apple cider, and I want it to taste

as
> >close to vinifera wine as possible. I want to encourage malolactic,

but I
> >am worried it has too much sulfite to let the malolactic bacteria do

their
> >thing effectively. Is there something I can do to measure sulfite?

And if
> >there's too much, is there something I can do to make malolactic
> >fermentation happen, anyway? Would inoculation create bad

consequences if