Dale Williams

> Good wine list, with some good choices from around the world. Prices are
>>> reasonable for upscale restaurant. We stuck to less than $50 a bottle.

>I felt that the prices were a little on the high side

Thanks for the interesting comments (I don't agree with all the comments re
food, but indeed the bok-choy accompaniment to the pork could be described as
muddled!).

I would quibble with characterization of wine list as high, though. I think it
comes down to expectations. By what I'm used to this was quite fair. Most
higher end restaurants in NY area have markups that range from 2X (lowest I've
seen) to 4X. I'm happy if markup is less than 2.5, and resigned to 3X (if above
3X, I'll buy a wine by glass and then just have water).

In this case, the Chinon and Chablis were $32 & $50 respectively, if I remember
correctly, which is almost exactly 2X retail. That's pretty much in line with
rest of list. Offhand, I remember the Trimbach CFE at $70, Vietti Arneis at $36
or 38, '00 Fleur la Gue at $42 (I was thinking of suggesting this one if it
seemed almost everyone was getting lamb), '95 G. Mascarello Monprivato at $120
or 125, one of the big boy '02 Sancerres from a Cotat at $80, etc.

The one wine that I thought had a high markup was the Grosset Polish Hill
Riesling, at $60. But a look at winesearcher shows that it apparently has
undergone a price jump since I last bought, priced more like $30 retail than
$20. Yikes.

In any case, I know of no NY area serious restaurant with comparatively cheaper
prices. Which is why I tend to really limit my wine buying in restaurants!

As you said, the most important thing was the people. Thanks for your visit,
all 3 nights were fun (I'll try to have TNs up re last night soon)!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply