LIMEYNO1

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

I had a similar problem with my parents and really could do not much about
it cause this was my mom's way of control. But after she passed I did my
dad's shopping and we tried meals on wheels which were awful, so tv dinners
worked well for him.

"MaryAnderson60" > wrote in message
> Hi. I'm Mary and have a cooking question.
>
> My parents are elderly and unwell. I live a few hundred miles away. They

eat
> well when I am right there and cooking meals fresh for them, but otherwise

they
> tend not to eat much of the time and both have become quite thin.
>
> I am thinking of preparing a bunch of meals in advance and freezing them

for my
> parents. I plan to use all disposable containers/pans and keep
> preparation/cleanup for my parents to a minimum. I don't know that they

will
> eat homemade frozen any better than they eat commerically prepared frozen
> dinners but figure it's worth a shot. I also don't have much time to
> experiment and am hoping someone here has some experience freezing meals.
>
> They like lasagne, casseroles, stews, etc. In the case of casseroles,

would
> they be tastier prepared and frozen but not cooked until ready to eat as
> opposed to cooking them through so portions just need to be reheated? My
> mother loves New England boiled dinners and I'm thinking it should work

frozen
> if I cut the meat thick, undercook the veggies and include lots of broth

in the
> portions (?). Can anyone tell me if homemade mashed potatos are still

good
> after freezing? How about good frozen sweets/dessert recipes?
>
> I would appreciate anyone sharing recipes that freeze well. Any hints

about
> preparing complete frozen meals, as opposed to just entrees, would also be

most