Steve Calvin

Default Homemade Prepared/Frozen Meals

Cate wrote:
> "MaryAnderson60" > wrote in message
>

>>Meals on Wheels would be ideal for my parents but they won't consider it.

>>even looked at "personal chefs" to cook for them every week but price is
>>prohibitive.

> Mary, your message struck me because I just recently read an article on
> personal chefs here in Baltimore. Although they're not cost-effective for
> everyone (translation: most people) I found that a couple of them offer
> services where they'll come and cook for a whole day for x dollars. As much
> food as you want--which could presumably be frozen. This kind of thing might
> work in a pinch, since you're so far away.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cate

My Mother used to keep the old aluminum TV Dinner trays (yeah, we had
'em when we were kids) and use them to freeze dinners of leftovers.
The compartments worked well for keeping the veggies separate from the
main, etc...

I use my Tilia vacuum sealer personally. You can make up "packets" of
different things. They reheat in the microwave or a pan of boiling
water. Some stuff, like stews, lasagna, etc you need to pre-freeze
before sealing but it works very well and keeps things just fine and
dandy.

I'm not a "sweet" kind of person but I don't see why deserts wouldn't
freeze well.

The only thing that you mentioned that I don't think freezes well
would be the potatoes in a stew. Mashed potatoes freeze ok. They're
not like fresh but not much that's frozen is.

Good luck to you. Been there and understand what you're going through.

--
Steve