Christopher Richards

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Christopher
> gy.com11/29/04
>

>> Is there an organic, decaffeinated, black, loose-leaf Indian tea, that is
>> strong yet not acidic? The my favorite is FOP India from Choice Organics,
>> but sadly, it is caffeinated. When I was back in England in 2002, I found
>> good Typhoo decaffeinated tea, but that wasn't organic. Age has taken its
>> toll. No tea drinking for me in the afternoon.
>>
>> Does the sort of tea I am looking for exist, or am I just a dreamer?

> Oh, phoo, this serious. Some Darjeelings flow happily through multiple
> steeps. These might offer solace. Begin drinking with the second or third
> steep, and be willing to risk a possible sleepless night until you get the
> formula exactly right. You are right to stay away from tippy. Dog Ma
> informed us that the tenderest young shoots are the carriers of the
> highest
> concentration of caffeine.
>
> Michael
> Hong Kong Back to China (Pu'erh)
> Django Reinhardt (Guitar)

Hi Michael,

Sorry about the seriousness of the post. I'll snap out of it soon. I don't
recall being impressed by Darjeeling, and its been a long time since I had
any. It seemed weak to me. But what if I bung in six heaping teaspoons of
Darjeeling, as I do with my morning Black Indian FOP, will I have defeated
the object of limiting my caffeine intake? The Missus and I only drink it in
the morning or else we spend the night staring at the bedroom ceiling. We go
through a 2lb bag of lose black tea in about three weeks. I like your
economical re-steeping idea. You get your money's worth on this board.

Here is the blurb from Choice Organics: Darjeeling* - True, unblended
organic Darjeeling, one of the world's premier varietals. The late spring
harvest yields a bright, full flavor with a fruity aroma. A perfect
afternoon tea [low caffeine I assume.]

Ah! I have just had a communiqué from the Missus, in the other room. She
likes Darjeeling. I can see I am going to have to give it another chance.

Christopher