Joelle

>When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
>real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
>measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoe

I suggest you step away from the recipe and free yourself.

To make sauce for my two kids and I and maybe some left over, I saute an onion
and red bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until its transparent, add a little
red wine. I use to add celery but my kids don't like it so much.

I don't bother with the blender, but if I'm energetic and have time I will
throw the tomatoes (I grow paste tomatoes - some complain they don't taste as
good but I like them) in boiling water, then in ice water to peel them easier.
Paste tomatoes will already be mushy by then, no need to chop them.

If I don't feel like going through the trouble I'll chop up the toms as is and
throw them in, but then you may have to pick out a few skins.

Paste tomatoes are smaller. If you don't want to cheat and use a little tomato
paste, then you may need 5 or 6 small paste tomatoes - less big ones. I just
throw them in. I add a little sugar and basil, oregano and parsley. I also
have some Penseys Italian herbs that I may use. A little sugar, a little salt
some more wine if it's too thick....an hour, some sweet Italian sausage...and
you got some good spagetti sauce.

I would encourage you to experiement and get away from being tied to a recipe
for something like this. If you don't put in enough tomatoes, go ahead and add
some canned or sauce, and next time you'll know better. Better to make a few
mistakes so you can learn to be free!

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle