jacqui{JB}

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Since I like fresh horseradish, I grabbed a piece
> of root at the market the other day. Grating it
> turned out to be kind of a problem in my low-tech
> kitchen. My cheap little Moulis grater didn't work
> nor did my 4-in-1 or cheese grater. I ended up
> using my old Universal grinder which did OK but
> is impractical for small amounts. I don't own a Cuisinart
> or Robot Coupe nor do I want to. Anybody have
> any low tech/budget ideas?

A ceramic ginger grater -- basically a small saucer with a patch of
integrated ceramic spikes in the middle. I bought mine at one of the
big electronics stores in Tokyo (they had a small selection of
non-electronic items amongst the rice cooker section) for about
2USD -- certainly the bargain of our trip! Prior to that, I'd only
seen ginger graters at Williams-Sonoma, for about 12USD. Check your
local asian food stores for much better prices.
-j