Dave Smith

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

> Make them fresh. You don't need a special tool, either. I just pile some
> batter on the back of a big-hole grater and smush the stuff through the
> holes with a rubber spatula. Cook small batches and scoop them into a
> big bowl with some butter to keep them from sticking.

My spaetzle maker was pretty cheap, and it is so easy to use. I just dump
the batter into the little box hopper and slide it back and forth directly
over the boiling water.

> While you're making them, sizzle up some good black forest ham cut into
> little cubes. As soon as the spaetzle are done, turn up the heat and
> dump the spaetzle in with the ham. Cook and toss at high heat until the
> spaetzle begin to take on a little color. Then throw on some grated
> fontina or other similar cheese. Continue to heat until the cheese is
> melted, or a bit more to crisp up some of the cheese bits.

I have never understood why this dish is not a heck of a lot more popular.
Everyone I know who has ever tried it has loved it. It's cheap and easy to
make, and it's very versatile. What more could you ask for?