Isaac Wingfield

In article . com>,
wrote:

> Over the weekend I had spaetzle at a German restaurant, and it was
> fabulous. It was served with a sauerbraten, so the "sauce" on it was
> merely drippings from the roast.
>
> I bought some spaetzle to make at home, but don't know what to use to
> top it (as a stand-alone side dish). Any suggestions?

If what you bought was a box of little hard, dried lumps that you boil
(like dried pasta), you'd just as well to tear up the cardboard box and
use it too; those things (IMHO) are not worth eating.

Make them fresh. You don't need a special tool, either. I just pile some
batter on the back of a big-hole grater and smush the stuff through the
holes with a rubber spatula. Cook small batches and scoop them into a
big bowl with some butter to keep them from sticking.

While you're making them, sizzle up some good black forest ham cut into
little cubes. As soon as the spaetzle are done, turn up the heat and
dump the spaetzle in with the ham. Cook and toss at high heat until the
spaetzle begin to take on a little color. Then throw on some grated
fontina or other similar cheese. Continue to heat until the cheese is
melted, or a bit more to crisp up some of the cheese bits.

Isaac