Dave Smith

> Over the weekend I had spaetzle at a German restaurant, and it was
> fabulous. It was served with a sauerbraten, so the "sauce" on it was
> merely drippings from the roast.
>
> I bought some spaetzle to make at home, but don't know what to use to
> top it (as a stand-alone side dish). Any suggestions?

If you had spaetzle and sauerbraten the sauce was probably the gravy from
the sauerbraten. Spaetzle can also be heated up in a pan with butter,
butter and fried onions or bits of bacon or ham.

Spaetzle is quite easy to make. The batter has the same basic ingredients
as Yorkshire pudding, but less liquid. You can get a special spaetzle
baker that is just a flat piece of metal with some holes in it and a
little hopper affair that slides back and forth. You could use just
about anything that you get short pieces extruded through the holes and
chopped off. Alternately, you can do it the old fashioned way which is to
just use a knife to slice the dough finely and let the pieces drop into
boiling water.

When I make Spaetzle I use the whole recipe (jut the two of us here now)
eat some right away and stick the rest in the fridge to be heated up in
butter and onions.