jmcquown

Marge wrote:
> I've gotten food poisoning from eating at NYC restaurants several
> times. No, they weren't dives either.
>
> Unpasturized products are dangerous to babies and older people, who
> are more susceptible. Remember the Odwalla juice problem a few years
> ago? We do pasturize for a reason.

Sorry, I have no idea what 'Odwalla' juice is. I understand pasturization.
I understand restaurants should be held accountable for food safety and
handling. They are catering to and serving many.

But home cooking is just... home cooking. Maybe you pick what you grow and
cook what you grow and then eat. Sometimes the food, yes, even chicken or
pork or fish, gets left on the table or the counter for a while. Maybe you
are careless, thoughtless, or simply don't have the means to store it. Or
maybe you realize you aren't gonna die if you reheat whatever that was and
eat it later.

My dad used to wring chickens' necks in the back yard and sit on the porch
and pluck off the feathers before his mom put the bird in a pot with water
for soup or in a roasting pan. He picked and washed dandylion greens to
eat. Potatoes straight out of the ground, washed but probably still a bit
grubby. Pole beans rinsed in a bucket and snapped on the porch. Hmmm.
Growing up during the American Depression, and listening to those who did,
sure does teach one something

Jill