Bubba

Default Food Fight

I've been lurking around a while, posted a few things, and finally
decided to jump into the fray with both feet (and mouth wide open for
the planting thereof) and see if I could start a "food fight".

Lots of turkeys are being gobbled this time of the year and a LOT....did
I say that loud enough....LOT!!! of noise is being made about:

FOOD SAFETY!!!!!!

I question the emphasis put on this issue.

I was born in California, raised all over (Navy brat) but my roots are
in the South. Many of my "food" memories recall the major meal being at
noontime (dinner), after which a clean tablecloth (or sheet) was thrown
over the leftovers and they were left until suppertime.

Pork, chicken, deviled eggs, ...whatever, were left at room temperature
(which without AC was 80-90 degrees in the summer) for 4 to 6 hours.
This is what was eaten for supper.

And no one (as in "very rare occurrence") got sick.

Why not?

Were the "Old Folks" made of stouter stuff?

Have we pasteurized ourselves to death?

Is "mass production the culprit?

Or is it media hype?

I know food safety is important. What I'm questioning is if it is a
bigger issue now than, say....100 years ago. And I'm speaking of
pathological contamination, not chemical. (Which IS a bigger problem)

Looking forward to the fracas!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?