Ralconte

(Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message >...
> I waffled all morning about which group to send it to, so I'm sending it
> to both.
>
> One of my students reported to me that WalMart had cider with no
> preservatives. My wife picked one up, and the label makes no mention of
> them. It clames "100% apple." (but I've seen that in ones that also
> claim preservatives before).
>
> I put a yeast-tube full of Reisling that started fermenting on Sunday
> into it, and an airlock. If it takes off, I'll buy several more.
>
> I have no idea how widely spread this brand is at WalMart; I'm in
> west-central Pennsylvania.
>
> It's been a few years since I've done a cider (haven't found any without
> preservatives). This one requires shaking before serving. How in the
> world am I going to deal with this when I try to rack it off its
> sediment??? Or will everything that needs that just fall out?
>
> hawk

Here's a question for all the cider makers out there. If you've made
a cider that was low in alcohol and still sweet, I'd like to know the
name of your yeast.

I recently started a gallon, just to have something fun for the
holidays. I used Lavin EC-1118, so I'm sure its going to be bone dry,
and any sugar I might add would be fermented rapidly, until I hit 18%
alcohol. And I don't want to go that far to have sugar left.

I could stabalize, but I'd like to prime the bottles for carbonation.
Gee, I don't want much do I, low alcohol, residual sugar, natural
bubbles.

I've googled around, and the suggestion is wine yeast for dry, ale
yeast for residual sugar. But what kind? As I look closer, the
particular strains of cider yeast and ale yeasts suggested all report
that the cider will ferment dry.