Hunt

In article >, mling@medaphase
..com says...

>Hi-I have a 1300 bottle cellar built during a basement renovation by a
>general contractor. Problem is that temp rises to roughly 62-63 deg
>during summer, despite cooler set at 57, which runs almost constantly
>(bsmt is airconditioned to around 77 summertime). Once basement cools
>off for winter (into high 60's), it cools down to set temp of 57.
>
>Specs--8x6x6 ft, 384 c.f., with Whisperkool 3000 cooler, sized
>properly based on cubic footage, all interior walls in air conditioned
>basement. Contractor swears insulation was up to spec R13 walls R30
>ceiling. Wood door with single (I know that's wrong) pane glass-but I
>tried covering the glass with foam insulation board to see if that was
>problem but temps stayed up.
>
>I've thought of several possible fixes:
>1) Upsize to larger Whisperkool, say 4200 BTU ($1600)
>2) Add small second cooler, like the new ChillR units at Wine
>Enthusiast, maybe the 1500 or 2000 BTU unit ($500 plus install)
>3) Try a double paned glass door despite my experiment ($1000-2000?)
>4) Tear up drywall and check insulation ($thousands plus spousal
>wrath)
>
>Suggestions? How much bigger a Whisperkool if I did that (is there a
>disadvantage to an overly large unit?). Anyone have experience with a
>ChillR

Bummer! My cellar is quite a bit different, with one exterior wall, though a
North facing, heavily shaded, and heavily insulated one. At roughly 1000 cu
ft, I up-sized to Whisperkool 8000 and even in AZ Summers I hold 55-56 F. My
door, which is in the exterior wall, was down-sized from original to 30" and I
got the most heavily insulated one that I could locate. I added 2.5" of foam
in a box, attached to the door's interior, and it barely fits through the
frame, when I close it. It's weather-stripped all the way around. I had wanted
a light in the door, but could not find anyone doing a triple-paned light, so
opted for solid and added as much foam as I could. In your case, I'd really
look at the door. I know you placed foam over the light, but I'd hold it
suspect - first. So far, knocking on all wood I can find, my Whisperkool has
run flawlessly, after one false-start initially. So, my second thought would
be to up-size the cooling unit. I only paid about US$1600 for the 8K, but that
WAS 6 years ago. K&L Wines (wwwlklwines.com) often has their Whisperkools on
sale, and they'd always done well by me. I deal with Ralph Sands in the
Redwood City store. Might want to shop the prices a bit. I also think that
most of the units will fit into the hole for the others - check me out on this
one. Sorry, that I have no experience with ChillR. BUT I do understand spousal
wrath!!!!!

Good luck on your problem. Again, Major Bummer!

Hunt