Julie Bove

Default Beet Salad

2 large beets
olive oil
1-2 T. lemon juice
1-2 T. white vinegar
1 t. Splenda
1 t. dried thyme
2 t. dried parsley
1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 extra virgin olive and 1/2 grapeseed)
salt and pepper (I used sea salt, coarsely ground black pepper and
peppercorn medley)
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 purple onion
4 oz. feta cheese
1/2 cup walnuts

Scrub beets, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in small baking
dish, cover with foil and roast at 450 degrees for approx. 45 minutes or
until tender when pierced with a fork.

While beets are roasting, prepare the dressing by whisking together the
lemon juice, vinegar, Splenda, thyme, oil, salt and pepper. Adjust the
amount of oil/lemon juice/vinegar and seasonings to suit your taste. Chill
dressing.

Peel onion and coarsely chop. If desired, soak onion in cold salted water
for up to a hour, changing the water a few times, and drain before using.
This will help to make the onion more mild.

When beets are tender, let cool, slip off the skins, then dice. Toss with
dressing, cheese, celery, onions and walnuts. Chill for several hours
before serving.

If you don't have or don't like feta cheese, you can use asiago, blue, or
any other full flavored cheese.

--
See my webpage: