BOB

wrote:
>>> Whats the difference in taste/cooking between a picnic and a butt? ference
>>> between
>>> the two.

>> To cook... same as a boston butt roast or any other cut of meat for
>> queing...rub it, smoke it, pull it, eat it. It's done when it's done.
>> For me that's somewhere north of a 180 degrees and the fork twists
>> easily in a few spots.
>>
>> My butcher said the butt is where the better meat is. I don't agree.

> My butcher said the same thing. He said the butt would shread easier
> than the picnic which was more like what they use for baked ham.

Think of it this way...fat=flavor.

Your analogy of ribs in your other post is an excellent one.

Both butt and picnic taste very similar. There is more work involved in the
picnic, since there's more fat and more bone, and skin, but cooked similarly,
they'll be pretty close to the same. Both are very forgiving pieces of meat.
You'll have to try both and decide for yourself. Me? I look at the price,
decide if I want the (slight) extra trouble of scoring (or removing) the skin on
the picnic versus the higher price of the butt. Remember, there are usually two
butts in the cryo-pack of butt.

Have fun and eat well, whichever you decide on *this* time.

BOB