mroo philpott-smythe

kalanamak > wrote in
:

> Wazza wrote:

>> Its true that ptfe fumes can cause problems, a colleague of mine
>> ended up in hospital with what the doctors called 'polymer fever', I
>> suppose its their way of saying 'lets dumb it down, these poor people
>> won't understand anaphylactic shock!

> I disagree. Lots of laymen toss about "anaphylatic shock" or "had an
> allergic reaction and went into shock" but polymer is not a word I
> hear tossed about. Anyway, most docs find it difficult to quickly and
> smoothly translate their words into laymen's terms, especially in
> tense situations, and naturally laspe into medicalese. I got tongue
> tied just this week trying to explain that a burn wound was avascular
> and that debridement removed the infected dead tissue, not i.v.
> antibiotics. Of course, I was being yelled at at the time, and could
> probably have recided the preamble to the constitution and the family
> member wouldn't have known the difference. Later on she yelled at the
> other doctor because the facility the patient was coming from insisted
> on ambulance transport, not the family car, like it was our fault they
> made that decision.

> "a physician is one we pin our hopes on when sick, and our dogs on
> when well"...in this case the yeller was well. The sick one was very
> happy to see us.

People are always happy to touch a doctor's toes when ill.

However, Science News did carry a report this year, I think. I forget who
did the research, but the pointer should be on their website. I think it
was the Karolinska Institute.

They said that people exposed to very low levels of fumes from nonstick
pans were showing up with a range of symptoms from headaches through
lassitude and fevers - rather like the flu. I'm paraphrasing and don't
have the article at hand.

Since most of the food I cook requires high temps, I tossed my nonstick
pans in a paranoid frenzy. Of course, it was the perfect excuse to go
down to Sur La Table and buy a bunch of nice copper pans, so I'm not
overcome by regret.

sq