zxcvbob

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:53:16 -0800, "Louis Cohen"
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking turkey soup and turkey gumbo. And next year, a small turkey
>>and a leg of lamb instead of a 20 lb'er.

> Ooooh...turkey gumbo..do you have a recipe in mind, or do you wing it
> as you go along? If you have a recipe, can you please post it?
>
> Christine

Here's my favorite. Just substitute leftover dark turkey meat and
whatever boils loose from the carcass for the legs, and use turkey
boilings for the stock, and pick up the recipe at "meanwhile, saute okra..."

Turkey Gumbo

2 large turkey legs
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3 quarts water
2 pounds sliced okra
1/2 C oil
1/2 C flour
2 cloves garlic
1 16-oz (or 22 oz.) can tomatoes
1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 bay leaf
2 stalks celery 1 tsp each: cayenne, thyme, basil, black pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 yellow onion, chopped

boil or pressure-cook the turkey, water, bouillon cubes until tender.
remove turkey legs from stock and allow to cool. remove meat from
bones, chop, set aside. break the bones and add back to stock (with
skin, gristle, etc.). put on back burner to simmer. meanwhile, sauté
okra in 1/4 oil in a heavy pot until all ropiness is gone (about 1
hour). combine remaining oil and flour in an iron skillet and cook over
medium heat, stirring constantly until flour is chocolate brown. be
careful not to burn it. add onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper to
the roux and sauté until tender. add roux-vegetables mixture to the
okra. add tomatoes, meat, strained turkey stock, bay leaf, cayenne,
black pepper and thyme; simmer, partially covered for half hour. add
basil and salt, simmer another 10 minutes. serve over steamed rice.