tooly

"MJM" > wrote in message
eless.com...
> My wife has asked for one of these single cup machines for Christmas.
> Currently when she wants just one cup she uses a Folgers coffee bag in
> the microwave.
>
> I've done some quick research on the net, and have some concerns and
> questions:
>
> 1) While these machines are popular in Europe, who is to say that these
> are not this year's gimmick, and will not last a year or two (ie, the
> companies will stop making the pods)?
>
> 2) Folgers coffee bags are relatively inexpensive. It appears that
> these machines are set up for European customs, where a single cup of
> coffee is just 4 oz. So if you want a typical American cup of coffee,
> you'll need 2 pods (50 cents a cup?). Doesn't this make the machines
> overall cost prohibitive?
>
> 3) Is cleaning up a machine more extensive than just cleaning up the
> single cup used in the microwave?
>
> 4) It appears the pods are proprietary to each machine and cannot be
> shared. Thus the quality of a cup of coffee is going to be more
> dependent not on the machine but by the beans used for the pods -
> correct? So how can one sample the coffee choices first before settling
> on a machine?
>
> 5) I've seen ads for a "universal" pod that allows you to fill it with
> your own choice of grounds. Is it effective, and how much of a cleanup
> mess is there?
>
> Anything else I forgot to address?
>
> --
>
> To reply, take out the garbage.

I purchased a Mr. Coffee home cafe unit several weeks ago; made some of the
worst coffee I've tasted, very bitter and 'burnt'. I figured it was just my
taste though. So, purchased another machine [not a home cafe pod machine]
and was going to just give the Mr. Coffee pod machine away. Friend at work
made a cup and spit it out...throwing his cup in the sink. He didn't want
the machine either...free. I got another friend to take it home to see if
his wife wanted it. He said he'd probably bring it back though [he too did
not like the coffee it produced]. Moral here is I can't seem to even 'give
it away'.

This does not bode well, IMO...at least for the Mr. Coffee rendention to
these pod machines.