DrinkBoy

"Robert" asks...
> Could someone reccomend a website explaining the difference between Ports
> and Sherries?...

-----------------------------------

Both Port and Sherry are "fortified wines", but they aren't the same
thing much beyond that. Yes, Port is a product of Portugal, and Sherry
is a product of Spain, specifically the Jerez de la Frontera region.

While Port will traditionally carry vintage year designations (and
there is a lot of strange marketing politics behind this), Sherry does
not. Sherry is almost always the result of a blend of different
vintages and types of wine, which will produce a consistant result
from year to year. Vintage Port on the other hand is strictly
controled and reflects individual characters of a partidular year.
Ruby and Tawny ports can be blends, and therefor won't have a vintage
designation at all.

I've got a little more information that I've compiled on my website:
http://www.drinkboy.com/LiquorCabinet/Wines/Sherry.html
http://www.drinkboy.com/LiquorCabinet/Wines/Port.html

-Robert Hess
www.DrinkBoy.com