paula

Default soda / quick bread for bread machine

"Adrian Weatherley" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Guys
>
> as a baker of longstanding it pains me to ask this.....
>
> but my wife cannot eat yeast so I bought her a cheap bread machine from Asda
> (UK Wal-Mart), and got some complete Soda Bread mix from a baker's
> sundriesman (Tegral mix from Puratos). This mix is OK, but I would like a
> scratch recipe to play with.
>
> Any suggestions please ?
>
> Weights preferred but I can convert from cups, no good recipe refused.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

got this from one of my many books, have not used this recipe yet so i
would only try these ammounts to see if it is ok before making larger
quantities.
8oz plain flour
1 teasp of bi-carb
2 teasps cream of tartar
2 teasps salt
12 oz wholemeal flour
1/2 pint of milk
4 tblsps water
plain flour for sprinkling
sift all dry ingrients together and add milk and water to make a soft
dough.knead lightly then shape into a 2 inch deep round. place on
floured sheet, cut a deep cross through centre and sprinkle with
flour. bake in a hot oven at 220c--gas mark 7--for 25-30 mins.
if you try this let me know how it turns out please. at present i buy
one wholemeal soda bread every week from asda. as it only keeps for a
couple of days before going mouldy i usually split it into four lots
and freeze all but one lot which i use over the weekend. it freezes
very well so homemade soda bread should do as well.if i get around to
trying this i will probably halve the salt as some soda breads tend to
be very salty and i think this ammount is a lot, much more than i put
into normal batch bread making.

paula.