zxcvbob

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Bob, there aren't many on this group I'd get up and walk into the
> kitchen for, but you're one of them. Just for you, the brand is
> Borden's Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. The side of the can says
> (in smaller letters than I'd remembered but still in all caps)
> "CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN."

I just dug around in my pantry until I found the can of sweetened condensed
milk buried in the back. It's Wal-mart's store brand, Great Value or
something like that. Sure 'nuff it too says "CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED
CAN." in little capital letters. The lawyers must be afraid that someone
will put the can *directly on the stove burner* and get hurt when the can
bursts. Perhaps the warning is on all cans now and I never noticed.

> I can see that the business about making caramel in the can is
> controversial. I've read the whole thread and concede that something
> bad won't necessarily happen every time an unopened can is heated. But
> wouldn't common sense lead one to believe that doing so is a bad idea
> because the expanding liquids inside would have nowhere to expand?

Yes, common sense would lead you to believe that, but common sense is often
wrong. You're not heating the liquid enough for it to expand much, and it
can bulge the ends of the can slightly as it does expand. The worst case
scenario (assuming you heat the can in a water bath or a pressure cooker)
is a seam will open up and leak.

> For me, it is easy enough to empty the contents of a can into another
> container before heating.

You also might try punching a little hole in the top of the can with a can
opener or ice pick and simmering it (not totally submerged) in a covered
pan of water. It will cut down on all the stirring you will have to do in
an open pan or double boiler.

Best regards,
Bob