Bob (this one)

MJ wrote:

> Does anyone have one of those donut express makers? The one where you b=

uy a
> kit and it comes with the pans and stuff to make your own donuts but th=

ey
> are baked? Anyways i bought one and tried the recipe in the book that c=

omes
> with and they were disgusting. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to g=

et
> this thing working right? Thats if anyone has any idea what i am even
> talking about..lol?

Here. Try this. A column from years ago...

Pastorio
---------------

Delightful Donut Doings
Patty cake, patty cake baker man. Bake me a doughnut as fast as you=20
can. Wait a minute. Bake me a doughnut? Aren't doughnuts fried?=20
Yes, mostly. Except the ones we'll look at today.
You've had risen doughnuts and you've had cake doughnuts. Here's a=20
very different approach. These are baked. It's not that they're any=20
lower in calories, just that they have a very different texture and,=20
if you follow this recipe, a wonderfully buttery flavor. Yep.=20
=93Buttery=94 and =93doughnut=94 have finally ended up in the same senten=
ce.=20
And about time it is.
And when you have the basic version down, let's look at some=20
variations that'll have you hankerin=92 for some. I've always wanted to =

use the word =93hankerin=92=94 in one of these sermons. Another goal rea=
ched.
Baked, not fried, Doughnuts
Makes about a dozen and a half
1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110)
1 1/2 cup milk, scalded and cooled to about 110
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening (or butter), melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
melted butter for brushing on (maybe 1/2 cup)
Combine yeast, water, milk, sugar and salt and let sit for about 5=20
minutes. Beat in nutmeg, cinnamon, eggs and shortening. Beat in flour=20
until mixed. Put into a lightly greased bowl and let rise until=20
doubled in bulk. Punch down and turn out onto a floured surface.
Or, you can do it the new way. If you have a bread machine, put all=20
the dough ingredients in the machine in the dough cycle. When the=20
cycle is over and the dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface=20
and punch down.
Dough should be soft. With a floured rolling pin, gently roll dough=20
about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a floured 2 1/2 or 3 inch doughnut=20
cutter. Either bake the holes, too or push them back together, roll=20
and cut until the dough is all used up. Lift doughnuts with a=20
floured spatula and put about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased=20
cookie sheet. Brush doughnuts gently with melted butter. Let rise,=20
covered and away from breezes until doubled, maybe 20 minutes.
Heat oven to 425. Bake 8 or 10 minutes or until nicely golden.=20
Quickly, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with confectioners=92=20
sugar. Or, alternately, either sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or spread=20
with glaze; recipes follow.
Cinnamon sugar mixtu 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch=20
allspice.
Creamy glaze: Combine 1/3 cup melted butter, 2 cups confectioner's=20
sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 4 to 6 tablespoons water or apple=20
juice, one tablespoon at a time, until the warm glaze is just barely=20
pourable.
Variations include adding things to the dough. You can add up to a=20
cup of dry chopped ingredients to the dough. Chopped nuts. Finely=20
chopped dried fruit like peaches, pears, apples or a combination.=20
Raisins. Dates.
Fresh blueberries. Rinse and dry them very well. Gently toss them=20
with flour and add to the dough. Crushed pineapple. Drain and pat=20
dry. Or use a technique variation like this: roll the dough out to=20
about 1/4 inch and use a 3 inch cutter. Put a ring of dough on the=20
cookie sheet, top with some berries or something else that strikes=20
your fancy and put another ring of dough on top, pinching to seal the=20
edges. Proceed as in the original recipe. Or use a biscuit cutter=20
and don't have a hole in the center. Or use a square cutter. Or some=20
other shape but be careful of too-complicated shapes that might burn=20
out at the ends.
In the glaze, substitute some other flavored extracts for the=20
vanilla. Lemon. Orange. Coconut. Whatever you like. Peanut butter.
Or glaze with chocolate icing. Yes, I know. Me too.
=93Bake me a cake as fast as you can.=94 Oh, sure, that's how it used t=
o be.