jacqui{JB}

"Robin" > wrote in message

> I found a sealed bag of them in my pantry, I'm
> guessing it's about 4 yrs old. Are they still useable?
> There's no expiration date on package.

Maybe. Inspect the contents before opening the bag to see if there
are any unwelcome visitors. If not, open the bag and use your nose:
do they smell good? Oily? Rancid? Try rehydrating one with hot
water and see how it tastes.

A lot depends on whether the tomatoes were treated with oil -- olive
or otherwise -- in the drying process. If not, I'd say the shelf-life
is indefinite; if so, then you're more limited, as the oil will
eventually go rancid ... which is what happened to a big bag of
sundried tomatoes I bought from a local italian market. Very
disappointing, but I suppose my own fault for not using them up in a
timely fashion.

-j