Jenn Ridley

Jane Lumley > wrote:

>In article >, Vox Humana
> writes
>>

>>I guess I just don't understand why people buy mixes. How hard or time
>>consuming is it to measure some flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder?
>>That's about all you get with a cake mix, aside from preservatives,
>>emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and other additives.

>Oh, I am soo sooooo glad you said this. I thought mixes were for people
>who hated baking. Why post about them on a baking newsgroup?

There are people who don't usually bake. They may be quite capable of
doing so, they just don't do it often enough to justify having the
ingredients in the pantry all the time.

F'rex -- my aunt. She used to bake a lot, and is quite good at it.
However, she now lives alone, and only has occasion to bake a couple
of times a year. When she does bake, she uses a mix, as it's much
more convenient and *less expensive* than buying flour/sugar/baking
powder/baking soda *every time* she wants to bake.

I use Jiffy mix for pancakes on school mornings. I don't have the
time or energy to fuss with 'proper' pancake batter while I'm getting
two kids off to the bus, and my husband is in the kitchen getting
*his* breakfast and lunch. Does that make me a failure?
--
Jenn Ridley :