Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 15 Nov
2004 11:22:50 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
(Rachel Fox) reported:

>I have never cooked a turkey by myself before, and now that I am
>married I was wondering if anyone had a turkey recipie they would like
>to share. I have heard that cooking with beer makes it really taste
>good, but I grew up with the stuffing in the turkey that you didn't
>even eat, so I want to branch out and try something different and new.
>Please let me know any cool tips for cooking turkey...they would be
>greatly appreciated!

Before my daughter went on Weight Watchers, I would crush up about a
whole clove of garlic, mix it with olive oil and slather that all over
the turkey - inside and out. Then I poured some orange juice in the
bottom of the baking pan, added a little soy sauce to that and bake it
with a couple of "Kosher" salt wells on the side - basting from time
to time and covering it with a tin-foil tent (not closed up, just a
sheet bent in the middle and let rest on the top) for the last 30
minutes or so. Came out absolutely fantastic.

I stuff my turkey pretty simply. I toast old bread and cut it into
cubes. I fry up onions, celery, red peppers, cubes of sweet potatoes
and several cloves of garlic. Then I mix the vegetables with the
bread cubes, add a few eggs, a little orange juice for moisture and
spice with some savory and then stuff it. Any extra stuffing I put in
a covered oven-proof bowl anywhere I can find to put in the oven.
Some people like (read: my mother liked) to add the giblets from the
turkey when frying the vegetables, but I never do since I don't like
liver.

If you like the orange bit, you can slice up oranges very thinly and
put them both inside the turkey and on top.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>