Vox Humana

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > >In article >, Vox Humana
> > > writes

time

> > I guess I really don't understand why people buy flour.
> > You really should plant wheat, harvest and mill.
> >
> > And SUGAR.... who buys processed sugar ?
> >
> > Don't even get me started on commercial salt....
> >

> > <rj>

> I salute you for a fine response, RJ. Drinks are on me That recipe is
> nothing that would prompt me to make it, but the poor OP sure got
> lambasted for what I'm guessing she thought was a swell idea. What a
> way to encourage a person. Keerist!
> --

Unfortunately the response didn't address the issue. The person who bakes
from a mix is quite likely to already have the ingredients that are in the
box. He/she already has the technology (measuring devices, bowls, oven,
utensils, etc.) because you still have to prepare the mix and add other
ingredients such as butter, oil, eggs, milk, and water. The baked goods
need to prepared on baking sheets or in pans and baked. RJ's logic fails
because the person who produces their own ingredients would need resources
such as land, the opportunity to produces the ingredients ( sugar doesn't
grow well in Calgary), additional technology (i.e., farm equipment), and
would have to acquire vastly different skills and knowledge. In other
words, baking from a mix and baking from scratch require almost identical
skills and technology. Oh the other hand, baking, farming, mining, milling,
distilling, etc., require vastly different skills and technology than baking
regardless of whether one is baking from scratch or from a mix. The person
who produces their own ingredients would also have to be physically capable
of farming and mining. Furthermore, it is quite unlikely that a person
would have both a salt mine and farmable land.