Margaret Suran

Default Moderator - Administrator and Goose Soup

Victor Sack wrote:

> Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > This group has no moderator. When a newsgroup is first formed it has a
> > charter that specifies, among other things, whether it is moderated or not.

> This is only true for new newsgroups. Most newsgroups formed before
> 1989, rfc being one of them, have no charters. In those balmy days
> people still knew what, where and how to post, and charters were deemed
> unnecessary.
>
> ObFood: Old-style Lithuanian goose soup. The recipe is adapted from a
> book I have here.
>
> Old-style Lithuanian Goose Soup
>
> 1-1.25 kg (2 - 2 1/2 lb) goose (or duck)
> 2 onions
> 1 carrot
> 1 parsnip
> 1/2 celery root
> 4-5 ceps (boletus, porcini) mushrooms
> 250 ml (1/4 quart) beetroot kvas or juice of 1 lemon
> 100 g (3 1/2 oz) pearl barley (preferably large-sized)
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 500 ml (1/2 quart) sour cream
> 3 firm apples suitable for cooking, preferably sour
> 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
> fresh dill
>
> Remove the excess fat from the goose (or duck), cut into large pieces,
> put into a heavy pot, cover with water and simmer together with 1 onion,
> carrot, parsnip, celery root and cut-up apples for about 1 1/2 hours.
> Towards the end, add the caraway seeds. Cook the mushrooms and the
> second onion (chopped) in 1/2 l (1/2 quart), adding the kvas or lemon
> juice. Separately, cook the pearl barley until it disintegrates (making
> a kind of barley congee), drain and mix with the butter, working it into
> a purée, then whip it up into a whitish soufflé consistency. Add sour
> cream and mix until foamy. Mix into the hot soup and heat through,
> taking care it doesn't boil. Serve, sprinkled with some dill.
>
> Victor

When Barbara was here, we went to a nice restaurant, Ouest, whose owner,
Tom Vaalenti, happened to be written up in this week's N.Y. Times Food
Section. The soup on the three course prix fixe dinner was duck soup
and both of us ordered it. Marcel had Belgian Endive salad. The soup
was wonderful, but it was not anything like the one of your recipe. No
sour cream, no beetroot and no caraway seeds. Next time I go there, I
will see whether I can get the recipe. I never had any kind of duck
soup before. I thought the very name and the Marx Brothers film meant
that Duck Soup is some kind of joke. MS