Dave Bell

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> Personally, I'm going to try the above mentioned recipe, because there
> are like five cheap cake mixes in my cupboard from about 18 months ago when
> my sister was living with me and she was taking a cake decorating class,
> and I've been wondering what the heck I'm going to do with them. One of
> them is a spice cake mix. The other five may end up at the food bank in a
> couple weeks. I'm not sure if they take boxed dry goods, they only seem to
> ask for cans.

I make some pretty good biscotti, using a cake mix as a base. Sure, I
could make up the mix from scratch, but it *is* convenient!

Personally, I'm allergic to wheat, so either bake from scratch with
spelt, or look for wheat-free, gluten-free mixes. I buy a Lemon Cake mix
from Silven Border Farms, and use the following recipe, gleaned from the
net. Works well with walnuts or pecans, and added lemon peel.

Biscotti

* 3/4 cup oil or melted and cooled butter
* 2 tbsp Gluten Free extracts
* 2 cup toasted nuts, optional
* 1 cup dried fruits, optional
* 1 package GF cake mix
* 5 eggs

Choose one of these flavorings:

* 2 tbsp anise extract with yellow cake batter
* 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 tbsp instant espresso powder, 2 tbsp

almond extract with chocolate cake mix
* 2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger with
yellow cake mix

STEP BY STEP:

1. Reheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a jelly roll pan or
cookie sheet with lip on all sides
2. Combine all ingredients. Pour into jelly roll pan and cake for 20
to 30 min until tests done
3. Remove from oven, but keep oven on. Slice cookies into thirds and
across in 1/2 inch slices
4. Remove half and spread out on another jelly roll pan [un-greased]
and put back in oven for 3 to 10 min, until golden
5. Cool and store in air-right container.

I find it doesn't need the jelly roll pan, as the batter is pretty
stiff to start with. I pat it into a long, flat log, maybe 5-6" wide.
I slice all the way across the resulting "cookie".

Dave