Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:31:07 +0000 (UTC), TammyM >
wrote:

>Oi. I'm looking into freezing some baked goods for later use. The
>Pillsbury site sez that custard pies like pumpkin can be frozen.
>The Betty Croker site sez that custard pies, including pumpkin, do not
>freeze successfully. I'm caught between Betty and the Pillsbury doughboy
>(sounds rather naughty...) Who to believe? Anyone have any words of
>wisdom born of actual experience?

<snip>

How long are you wanting to freeze the pies? If it's just a few days,
why not freeze the (unbaked) shells and refrigerate the custard to
assemble later? Custard isn't hugely delicate, but I wouldn't freeze
it myself. Surely, there's a shortcut for something else for The Day
that isn't the showpiece dessert is? I mean, the rest of the meal lies
there in massive bowls, plates, platters and tureens while dessert
sort of stands alone.

Made a killer fun dessert for a family Sunday dinner this past weekend
that I'd never tried before (it doubled well). It was a smash hit, but
requires specialty ceramic molds:

----- Now You're Cooking! v5.60 [Meal-Master Export Format]

Title: Coeurs A La Creme With Blackberries
Categories: desserts
Yield: makes 4 servings

for coeurs à la crème
3/4 lb cream cheese, softened
1 (8-oz) container sour cream
3 tb confectioners sugar, or to
-taste
1/2 ts vanilla
1/2 ts fresh lemon juice
for topping
2 (1/2-pint) containers
-blackberries (11 oz) (may substitute reaspberries)
1 tb granulated sugar
1 tb chambord (optional)
1/2 ts fresh lemon juice

Special equipment: 6 (1/3-cup) ceramic coeur à la crème molds and
cheesecloth
Make coeurs: Beat together cream cheese, sour cream, confectioners
sugar,
vanilla, juice, and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer until
smooth.
Force mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl to remove any fine
lumps.

Line molds with a single layer of dampened cheesecloth and divide
cheese
mixture among molds, smoothing tops. Fold overhanging cheesecloth over
tops, pressing it lightly. Refrigerate molds in a shallow pan or dish
catch drips) at least 4 hours.

Make topping: Mash half of blackberries with granulated sugar. Stir in
remaining whole berries, cassis, and juice, then macerate, stirring
occasionally, 20 minutes.

Unmold coeurs and carefully peel off cheesecloth. Let coeurs stand at
room
temperature 20 minutes before serving. Spoon topping over coeurs.

Cooks' note:

• Coeurs may be chilled in molds up to 2 days, covered.

Contributor: Gourmet

Three tips: Use the supermarket cheesecloth. The good cheesecloth is
too fine. Use old fashioned plastic catsup/mustard squirt bottles to
drizzle the berry sauce. Buy an extra 6 oz. container of berries and
put a few on the side of the coeur. Very pretty.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines