Old 10-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Johanna

PJ,
Thanks for the tip, I won't make that ice cream again ;-)
I'll your tip instead. Good thing you listed a product that is available
in the UK - I have seen Splenda in the shops.

I thought that molasses might be lower GI being 'un-refined'.. ?
I haven't been able to find out... Do you know anything about it?

I am really worried about my boyfriends frequent hypos and unstable
blood sugar - I am not sure if his problems are caused by him not giving
diabetes enough attention (eating right, taking correct injections),
or if it is just bad luck/inevitable... What do you think? Is there
anything I can do to help?

Regards
Jo

Peanutjake wrote:

Johanna wrote in message

Hi,
My boyfriend has diabetes type 1. He is very active, and if it wasn't
for frequent hypos nobody would know that he had it.

I have tried to help with the hypos by making very "balanced" GI food
for him, e.g. some fast and plenty of slow carbs in all meals.

I recently got an ice cream maker as a gift and have had lots of fun
making home-made ice cream! Now I want to make some ice cream for Brian!

He says his favourite flavour is rum & raisin.
I made a batch which tastes fantastic. It contains the following:

2 egg yolks, 1.5 cup of cream, 0.5 cup molasses, 0.75 cup sweetener,
pinch of salt, 0.5 cup raisins, 1 cup coconut milk and 5 bottle hats of
dark Rum.

Jo

Jo, your ice cream would put me in the hospital.

I would replace the molasses and sweetner with 1 cup Splenda
Change the Rum to Rum Extract
I would also change the egg yolks to stiffly beaten egg whites.

PJ