Hunt

In article >, santa19992000
@yahoo.com says...

>I am verymuch interested in Wine, sofar no alcohol, which is best
>branded Wine, friend of mine told me wine is good for health, can
>somebody suggest me which is goo done, which should available in
>Costco?. Do I have to mix anything (like soda?.) or can I pour into
>glass and take it?. Also suggest best rum also?.
>
>Also after opened wine bottle, if something is left, can I leave it
>outside?. Thanks in advance.

Since this is your first foray into wines, I'll give you a starting point:
Germany. That said, each Costco has a different wine selection, based on their
buyer's power, and the perception of what will sell in that store's area. In
our higher-end Costco (read best neighborhood), there are usually 2-3 German
whites available. They are QmP wines, which means that they are in the upper
tier of Germany's wine standards, however, the wines themselves are usually
from "volume" producers, and, as such, are not rare collectibles. I recommend
a Spätlese Riesling to start, as they are low in alcohol, have nice fruit (
often perceived as "sweetness"), and are very food friendly. Not knowing what
the line up will be at your Costco, I cannot recommend a producer, but there
should be a few to choose from - try one of each. Prices that I have seen are
US$8-14.

Pinot Grigio is another very approachable white, and you should be able to
find a few producers' wines available - some domestic (US), and some imported.
King Estate, OR, is a nice light one, but you may not be able to find it.
These are fruity and low in alcohol, as well, though not as low as the
Rieslings of Germany.

A favorite food wine in the red category from Costco, in my family, is the
Acacia (CA, US) Carneros Pinot Noir, ~US$22. Be careful if your Costco has a
broad selection, as there is also a Beckstoffer Vineyard Acacia, that is in
the US$50/btl range, and the labels look very similar. So similar, in fact,
that I was once charged $19.95 for six Beckstoffers, because I'd bought six
Carneros. I had to drive back to pay my difference, which I didn't detect,
until I went to enter the wines into my computer. I guess I could have
pocketed the difference, but I appreciate their having a good selection and
just could not allow this mistake to go uncorrected. Pinot Noirs from the US,
especially the Carneros area of CA, are a lighter red, that pairs well with
many foods. They too offer a lot of fruit, and are readily drinkable, as soon
as you get home.

This little list is reflective of the wines that I can find at one Costco
store in my metro-area. One problem with shopping in a big-box discount store
for wine, however, is that there is usually not someone around, who can answer
your questions readily, and if there is, chances are they will not be there on
your next visit. Therefore, when starting out with wine, I'd urge you to
establish a relationship with a good wine shop, with a knowledgeable staff.
That way, on your next visit, you can say, "by the way, that bottle of xxxx,
that I bought was really acidic, and we didn't like it at all... " A good
salesman, will then recommend something to better fit your palette.

As for mixing your wine with something else - don't. With the exception of
White Port, and a very few other wines, they are best NOT mixed with anything.
Try chilling your whites to about 50 F, and your Pinot Noir to about 60 F.
Costco also offers some nice wine glasses (often Riedels) for a good price.
Pick up a set for your family/friends (four will be a good start, unless you
have a large family). I'd say to go with a set of "red wine" glasses, as they
will work better with your white wines, than will "white wine" glasses with
your red - usually.

Most of all, enjoy with good company!

Hunt