Mike Petro

>Puerh has the same amount of caffeine (by weight) and depending on
>technology can give it up quicker and slower. Same while leaf vs broken,
>temperature, steeping time etc. But nothing is better than direct
>measurment. If you have a liquid chromatograph handy.
>
>Sasha.

Different puers do indeed contain different amounts of caffeine and it
does appear that green puer is lower than most. See
http://www.holymtn.com/tea/teacaffeine.htm for more info. They used
reversed phase liquid chromatography with UV detection for their
study.

Caffeine is extremely water soluble. Most traditional methods of
brewing puer involve "washing" the tea, literally rinsing it one or
two times with hot, often boiling, water. I suspect that this is
tantamount to significantly decaffeinating the tea. While I have never
seen a study of available caffeine "after" washing, deductive
reasoning certainly supports this theory.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply