Dick Adams

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message =

> ... Carl's starter behaves like SDI Russian - potent=20
> leavening less potent flavor. Ed wood comments that because of this=20
> (early peak in leavening) you need to let the dough age and add some=20
> flour to reinvigorate the leavening power.

I remember Mrs. Wood saying (writing) something about letting the
refreshed starter get beyond peak and then adding some flour to
get it going again before proceeding to the dough. Then there was a
two starter method by Barb Beck, where she combined an over ripe
starter with and active one. In my hands, attempts to affect the flavor
or acidity of the final bread by manipulating preferments have led
only to sour bricks.

Several persons have mentioned the similarity between SDI Russia=20
and Carl's.

> Even if I do this, the flavor is not blow your socks of complex.

I am not sure that I am ready to agree that "complex" is a flavor.

> I do not have 100% confidence that I would get the same starters that =

I=20
> bought 10 odd years ago if I repurchased from SDI so have not yet gone =

> this route.

It would be interesting to find out. I understood that they kept their =
cultures
together in the same fridge and refreshed semiannually. There seemed to =
be
a conviction that synergy and/or symbiosis would keep the cultures from
melding. I would not be good for making that determination because=20
nothing I got from them came to life in the first place, and I am not an =

expert anyway in remembering flavors. So I am nominating you.

--
DickA

P.S. to Darrell: the Beck references at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html
appear to have become obsolete.