Steve Hay

rderieux wrote:
> Won't the oil have a bad effect of the head/head retantion of the Wit?
>
> Are you putting in the boiling wort or in the secondary? If you put
> it in the boiling wort won't the fragrance be diminished? Maybe
> not...
>
> How about using some Earl Grey?
>
> I would suggest spliting the batch to see the difference.

Using Earl Grey Tea would only add two elements rather than one, i.e.
the Oil and the Tea. While it is true that head retention can be an
issue with Beer brewed with Oily substances, such as chocolate, it is
done. I think some Roasted Barley (not much, maybe a few tablespoons)
helps with head retention. I wouldn't imagine the scent of the oil
would be strongly affected using Earl Grey as a control group. I would
suggest splitting on different amounts of oil. Finding out how much oil
is in a cup of tea might also be helpful for guessing an amount.

Steve