PENMART01

> Jim Johnston wrote:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:

>>>Loaded with MSG most likely...

>> Probably not... msg has much too much bad press for fast food chains to

>take
>> the risk... probably plain old salt, salt costs way less too.
>>

>Apparently the biggest grocer in the country (WalMart) doesn't know
>this. The wife just brought home some Fried Chicken from their deli...
>it's got MSG, therefore I can't eat it with my corn allergy.

Stupidmarket delis are no different from stand alone neighborhood delis,
they're not held to adhere to any corporate mandated recipes... in
stupidmarkets they pretty much pull off the shelf whatever seasonings are sold
in the store and they're indescriminately applied depending on the mood of
whoever's turn it is that day... typically one of the popular seasoning blends.
I doubt they even read the list of ingredients on the label. The thing is, if
you, or anyone, have serious food alergies you probably shouldn't be eating any
prepared foods other than that which you prepared yourself... what makes you
think your favorite restaurant doesn't use msg. That said, most foods contain
msg naturally, even breast milk. I seriously doubt you are allergic to msg...
less than 1% of the world population is and only very slightly. Chinese
restaurant syndrome is not about any allergy, it's from ingesting too much msg,
Chinese cooks are heavy handed with seasoning and so they way over do the msg,
and the salt. Folks experience exactly the same symptoms from ingesting too
much table salt, or from nitrites in coldcuts... wanna experience Chinese
restaurant syndrome, eat a whole pound of bacon. The thing is, unlike salt, it
is not possible to know if there is too much msg merely by tasting. Food
requires very little msg to receive the full effect... adding more does nothing
to further enhance flavor, only overloads the eater. Use msg very sparingly, a
1/4 teaspoon, a small knife tip worth is plenty enough for a big potful of
soup/stew, and when you use msg cut way back on the salt. Of course you'll
need to have a flavorful dish to begin with, plenty of fresh ingredients, and
herbs... all the msg and salt in the world won't enhance the flavor of
pishwasser, and why would anyone want it to.

Learn: http://www.glutamate.org/default.asp

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon