Alex Rast

at Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:19:05 GMT in
(michelle) wrote :

>A couple weeks a ago I was reading a magnezine and it introuced a
>dessert cafe.
>There was a picture with a chocolate cake that looks really delicious.
>It was like a smalle chocolate cake and there were some chocolate
>syrup meling out....
>
>do anyone know wat they are called??
>and do anyone have a recipe of that dessert that i can try to make it
>at home...^^

These go by a variety of names including Fallen Chocolate Cake, Molten
Chocolate Cake, Warm Chocolate Cake, and a thousand other names. A few
years ago they started to become extremely trendy. These days in cookbooks
there are recipes galore. An additional plus is that in relative terms,
they're simple to make. The one logistical issue is that you need to make
them rather at the last minute, creating an awkward pause at dinner if
you're hosting a party. What you want, therefore, is to have a fairly rich,
heavy main course that people want to sit on and digest for a while. In
that situation the pause is appropriate.

Here's my recipe.

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate (* see note)
8 tbsp butter
4 eggs (I use extra-large. Large is fine - a little denser result)
1/2 cup light-brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp salt

Butter + cocoa for greasing ramekins

Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease 4 large (10 - oz) ramekins and dust each
well with cocoa. Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double-
boiler and remove from heat. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the contents
into the sugar, stir well with a fork until the vanilla is uniformly
distributed through the sugar. Beat the eggs, sugar mix, and salt until
very pale and the mixture drops from the beaters in a thick, smooth ribbon.
Sift the flour over the chocolate mixture and pour the egg mix on top
before folding everything together into a smooth, uniform batter. Scrape
the batter into the ramekins and bake until the chocolatey smell from the
oven approaches overwhelming, the cake has a thin, brown crust on top, and
the center wobble slightly if shaken (usually about 15 minutes). Remove
from oven, invert onto well-dished plates, and serve immediately.

*Note : it's crucial that you use a good bittersweet chocolate. Under *no*
circumstances whatsoever use Baker's chocolate! The best bittersweets in
this application are ones that have a dark, pungent fruitiness to them,
like Michel Cluizel Los Ancones (perhaps the best), Valrhona Guanaja
(intense, and complex like a fine red wine), Domori Blend No 1 (super-
strong, lots of impact), or Domori Madagascar (spicy and ultrapungent).
If you don't feel like splurging that much, Ghirardelli Bittersweet will
also work fine.

--
Alex Rast