CJB

previously in rfc, "Suuzzee" > wrote:

> CJB > wrote in message

>> I make an African tomato soup and nobody can ever guess that the secret
>> ingredient is peanut butter! It's really a very intense combination.
>>
>> -Claudia

> Howzabout a recipe? Charles' chicken recipe looks wonderful and I'd also
> love to try your soup.
>
> Suz

Sure thing. Like any vegetable soup, it's flexible and forgiving and you
can use what you like in addition to what's normally traditional.
Different areas have their own variations on this soup.

West African Groundnut Soup

1 peeled chopped sweet yam
2 peeled chopped carrots
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed (I use the press directly into the pot)
a small piece of ginger, minced
oil for sauteeing
spices: cayenne, salt, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I use chicken, if I don't use homemade
then I'm more careful on the seasoning as the canned is usually saltier
than my own)
2 cups crushed tomatoes
OR 2 cups diced tomatoes
OR 1 small can tomato paste (I use canned crushed tomatoes)
1/3 - 1/2 cup peanut butter

Sautee the yam, carrots and onion in a bit of oil at the bottom of a soup
pot for a few minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, sautee for another
minute or so.

Add the stock and tomatoes. A good shake of red pepper flakes. Stir, cook
covered over a low flame until the vegetables are tender (half hour? It
doesn't matter, as long as you keep stirring the bottom so it doesn't stick
you really can't overcook it)

Stir in the peanut butter. Cook a little longer until the soup is smooth
(5 minutes or so)

Season to taste with the peppers and salt. We like ours a little spicier.

You can also add a chopped hot pepper to the original vegetable sautee.

Not traditional, I don't think, but we like a little bit of chopped
cilantro on top.

Enjoy!

-Claudia