PENMART01

>Kippers (smoked herring) were/are pretty popular in England (for breakfast,
>Maxine!). Because of their strong, salty flavor the only way I've known
>them to be cooked is poached.
>
>Dora

There are many methods/recipes for kippering, which means to salt and smoke a
dressed fish, usually herring, but can also be black cod, etal. There are
many, many brands of tinned/canned kippers as well, which I don't find so
particularly salty that I can't enjoy them as is. The problem with this
discussion is that it's not possible to ascertain by long distance each
individual's tolerance for saltiness. I enjoy salted smoked herring as is,
without soaking.... and the thing is that salted smoked herring is an
appetizer/condiment, like lox/anchovy/matjes, not meant to be something one
makes their entire meal... although some can, I can.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon