Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Trew Michael Trew is offline

Default Cooking

On 6/15/2021 1:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/14/2021 10:25 AM, Michael Trew wrote:

> >> You need to brush up on the facts. Electricity loss is about 5% in
> >> transmission.
> >> https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=105&t=3
> >> The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that
> >> electricity transmission and distribution (T&D) losses equaled about 5%
> >> of the electricity transmitted and distributed in the United States in
> >> 2015 through 2019.
> >>

> http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/l...and-your-plug/
>

> >> Energy lost in transmission and distribution: About 6% €“ 2% in
> >> transmission and 4% in distribution €“ or 69 trillion Btus in the

> U.S. in
> >> 2013
> >>
> >> In the future, other forms of generation will take over. In our area
> >> solar is viable and I get some of my juice from solar.
> >>
> >> EVs have a long way to go to be ideal, but there are many new
> >> technologies in the works to reduce or eliminate lithium, make faster
> >> charging times, longer distance.
> >>
> >> People thought the automobile was just a fad for the wealthy too. It
> >> will take years but it will be viable.

> > I meant to say distribution losses = 50% -- not transmission losses.
> >

> https://electrical-engineering-porta...ission-lines-1
>

> > I'm sure it will eventually be viable. However, as it sits now, between
> > fossil fuel power plants and environmentally harmful lithium mining, you
> > can't say that you are making the "Green choice" with an electric car.

> Thank you for proving the electric automobile is a better use of energy.
>
> You are probably aghast that 50% of the energy generated is lost. Bad as
> it seem, that is much better than the internal combustion engine.
>
> How efficient is an internal combustion engine?
> 20 percent
> Most internal combustion engines are only 20 percent thermally
> efficient, according to Green Car Reports. In addition to heat, the
> various systems required to run the engine all take energy that could
> potentially be put to use propelling the vehicle.Mar 1, 2018
>
> Toyota has done better, but still not as good as an EV. Don't forget the
> cost of energy to transport gas to the local stations.
> https://www.thedrive.com/tech/18919/...0-liter-engine

I honestly thought that engines were less than 20% efficient. I know
their efficiency is particularly low, but I have yet to see someone do
the math and calculate actual pollution and waste from electric
generation/transmission and from creating the batteries for electric
cars... then compare it to gasoline cars. Of course, that would vary on
your electric utility, but people don't seem to take in that electric
cars aren't as green as they think that they are.