Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Martin[_4_] Sheldon Martin[_4_] is offline

Default Cooking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
>On Sunday, June 13, 2021 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Most pilot lights can be adjusted for flame height and or individually
turned off... I would leave one pilot light on for convenience and to
save matches... for how much cooking you do you only need one burner.

>> > Oh so now, you choose to go to the stores like a normal person.

>> What's abnormal about canning? I think almost everybody here has canned
>> something, sometime.

I've never bothered with canning, it's easier and a lot safer to use a
freezer. After trimming and cooking the produce from my garden it
shrinks down to less than half the volume. I use rectangular shaped
plastic containers, they stack like bricks and there's very little
wasted freezer space.
Sometimes a neighbor will offer me their home canned food, they
usually leave it by my back door. I thank them and then dump it in
the trash and wash and return their jars... I got sick a few times
from people's home canned food, never again. I don't like to eat
someone elses cooking anyway, especially not after seeing their
kitchen... high end restaurant kitchens typically have closed doors,
fast food joints typically have open kitchens... why do you think that
is?
Anyway there's only two of us, we've no need to stock up on home
canned food. We give away more than half the crop we grow... people
are more likely to eat it fresh picked than if canned/cooked. We have
neighbors who have gardens, they give us fresh picked, we grow
different crops so we trade... I gift certain ladies my mammoth
honeydews, hint-hint. Melons grow well here.