Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 5:24:08 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-15 11:16 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 15/06/2021 14:43, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> It's easy enough to temporarily connect your stove to a propane
> >> bottle... it's no big deal to switch between natural gas and propane
> >> and then switch back,

> > Changing the orifice on a gas stove takes time and knowledge. Natural
> > gas and propane require different sizes.
> >

> When they brought a natural gas line down our road we were quick to
> switch over from gas to oil. I wondered why our neighbours held off on
> the switch. They had propane. Aside from the cost of the line to their
> house, they were concerned with the cost of converting everything. They
> have the house and a pole barn with a heated office, so that was two
> furnaces, two water heaters and, being Italian, their dual kitchens with
> gas stoves. They did eventually switch, but there was considerable cost.

My parent's house had gas appliances. I remember watching a repair guy working on the clothes dryer. He said that the jets in the dryer was set up for propane, not natural gas which is what we had. That was nice of him explain that to a pesky kid. He switched out the jet to a bigger one and that dryer was noticeably louder - it sounded like a blowtorch. Clothes dried a lot faster too. Awesome!