Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Cooking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 3:55:17 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 00:05:14 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > I might be able to produce a flame by heating up a pan until very
> > hot and then dumping alcohol in the pan. Would that work? I can't say.

> Try diethyl ether. Oftimes it is sold as a 'carburator helper' to give a
> bit of boost to help start recalcitrant engines. It has a flash point
> under 100 C, i.e. it will ignite just with contacting live steam.
>
> NB: Do this outdoors & upwind, &c.

Starter fluid? That's an interesting idea. It might work. I won't be trying it though. I have used it in the past and it is some pretty fun stuff. Does starter fluid work in a world without carburetors? I loved rebuilding carburetors - just don't let your check balls roll off the table.
There are times that I have wanted to have some flame action. With an induction range, you're plumb out of luck. That's why I bought a self-starting propane torch for the kitchen. These days I'm using a cheap portable, butane burner because my range died. That's the breaks. We'll get another but it won't be an induction range.
I recently went to a guy's home and could feel heat coming from his stovetop. I told him that his burner was on. His friend told me he keeps it on all the time so he could light his cigarettes. That made a lot of sense to me. The next time I visited him, he was somewhat sober, had a cheap, plastic, lighter, had a shave, and the burner was off. I guess he cleaned himself up for my visit. That was good thing to do. Alcohol, cigarettes, a live burner, and having a single lung, is a heck of a combo!