Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Cooking

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:40:50 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/14/2021 3:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:

> >> Natural gas is dirt cheap around here, I'll keep my stove. I don't
> >> care about the oven, other than the cost, but I hate cooking on an
> >> electric stove top.

> > Same here but it's all in what you are used to. Gas is far more
> > flexible than electric or induction.

> I'd never want induction. If my cast iron pans don't work, it's a
> useless stove to me.

Cast iron works great with induction. My guess is that an induction range works faster than gas because you're not heating the pan by conduction. The pan actually acts as a heating element. These days there's no need to use cast iron. Carbon steel pans are lighter and bear a cooking surface uncannily similar to cast iron.