magnulus

"Dutch" > wrote in message
> That's not very clever, a more pertinent response to my observation is

that
> all mammals, even total herbivores, begin by surviving on breast milk.

True.

> > Saying that vegetarians or vegans do not consume some animal products

is
> > false... they do.

> Elaborate please.

Well, a baby that would be raised vegan might consume breast milk if the
mother is capable of doing that (not all are, after all), and we have
established that breast milk is most certainly an animal product in the
strict sense. And of course, vegetarians consume animal products like
honey, eggs, and dairy products.

> > The
> > simple fact is the word "vegetarian" does not mean a person exists
> > exclusively by eating plants or vegetables- the root of the word
> > "vegetarian" means "lively, vigorous"- not vegetable.

> So as long as I'm lively I can call myself a vegetarian? Interesting idea.

No... not anymore than if some car company calls their latest car the
"Tiburon", it becomes a carnivorous fish (Tiburon- Spanish word for
"shark").

Vegetarian has a meaning with which people who don't eat meat have
self-identified, a meater eater calling himself a vegetarian would be just
like calling a white guy who wears cork on his face an African-American.