Posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected] dalewilli...@gmail.com is offline

Default TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:25:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/20/21 3:19 PM, wrote:
>
> > One friend has a birthday today, a year from a big one, but we decided to celebrate early
> > 1962 Ch. Gruaud Larose
> > Old style Cordier bottle, well into (long) neck. Really lovely and elegant claret, resolved tannin, moderate acids, nose of dark fruit and old books. On palate balanced, blackcurrant accented with leather and forest floor.. Good finish, very pleased with showing. A-

> Wow, nice to hear, Dale. This has been the week for older Gruaud
> Larose around here. I can't say that I've heard much about '62 in Bdx.
> '61 and '66 seem to get most of the press.
>
> Mark Lipton

1962 I think has always been in the shadow of 1961, but is a very good vintage (I just looked, Decanter gave it 4 out of 5). But you don't see it around much.
I think the conventional wisdom of '60s claret (which I see no reason to dispute) is
1961 on top
1962, 1964 RB 1966 Medoc
1966 RB
1967, 1964 Medoc

I don't think anyone thinks 1960, 1963, 1965, 1968,. 1969 are worth thinking about (I did have a '69 Pavillon Blanc that was fun)