Posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected] dalewilli...@gmail.com is offline

Default TN: 2020 Rose,. 2014 white Burg, 2000 and 1962 St Julien

Betsy is in CA, but it was a beautiful warm day yesterday, so I invited some old friends over for dinner on patio. Started with radish-leaf pesto on breakfast radishes, and shrimp cocktail.

2020 Arnot-Roberts Rose
Not 100% Touriga Nacional this year. Not in front, but I think 2/3s TN, with rest Cab Franc, Gamay, Grenache. Pale, light body, but good persistence on finish. 11.5 abv so this will be a nice patio sipper in the summer. Watermelon, strawberry, citrus zest. B

2014 Bize €śles Perrieres€ť Bourgogne Blanc
Sweet apple, lemon, snappy acids, chalk. Really nice. B+

Main was a mixed grill (skirt steak, Polish beef sausages, lamb merguez), quinoa, grilled squash with zaatar, salad

2000 Ch. Gloria
After a disappointing bottle Monday (from a group purchase) I decided to dig out my stash. More fruit, rather plush style with plum fruit, a little leather, mocha. Moderate finish. Good mature well-priced ($20 at release) claret with a slightly modern twist. B

One friend has a birthday today, a year from a big one, but we decided to celebrate early
1962 Ch. Gruaud Larose
Old style Cordier bottle, well into (long) neck. Really lovely and elegant claret, resolved tannin, moderate acids, nose of dark fruit and old books. On palate balanced, blackcurrant accented with leather and forest floor. Good finish, very pleased with showing. A-

Really great being with old friends.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.