Posted to alt.food.wine
Graham Graham is offline

Default Fruit salad, anyone?

On Fri, 14 May 2021 11:42:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 2:27:15 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
>> My favourite wine store employs a guy who boasts a really sensitive
>> palate. However, his descriptions of new offerings go over the top. This
>> is one of his more restrained descriptions:
>>
>> "The nose of this wine is very fruit forward, with blueberry, red cherry
>> and plum. There's a lot more going on here, with a whole host of other
>> aromas including cream, dried leaf, shoe polish and pipe tobacco. On the
>> palate, the fruit takes centre stage, with lots of raspberry, black
>> cherry, blueberry and cranberry, and the subtle dry leaf/dustiness adds
>> a savoury edge to compliment the wine's fruit profile. This wine is
>> fairly ripe, and has a full, well-rounded mouthfeel, as you would expect
>> from a --------. However, there's more than a little bright acidity here
>> to keep this wine feeling noticeably fresher than many --------."
>>
>> Can anyone identify the wine, district or even the country?

> My WAG- Chateauneuf du Pape?

No, a 2018 Valpolicella Ripasso.

Here are his descriptions of 3 CduP from last week:

Domaine Chante-Perdrix
2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Rouge
On the nose, the 2017 is very ripe, with strawberry, black cherry,
blueberry and plum. There¢s some dried fruit, like a dense fruit
cake/prune, some sweet spice and brown sugar. As the wine opens, more
savoury aromas emerge, with a little dried leaf and smoke. The ripe fruit
continues on the palate, with strawberry, red cherry and jammy fruit pie.
This wine is bold and heavy - it feels like it reaches every corner of your
mouth, and the finish is silky. A big red with a velvety finish. Textbook
Chateauneuf du Pape.

2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Rouge
On the nose, the 2018 is very pretty and elegant, with a fruit and floral
theme (think walking through a field of strawberries). The fruit here is
less extracted too, with blueberry and cranberry in addition to black plum
and strawberry. On the palate, red cherry, cranberry and raspberry lead the
way, with a little green/bramble/menthol adding another dimension. This
wine is certainly not light, but is less imposing than the 2017. However,
much of the 2018¢s power lies in the finish - there¢s more tannin and
structure here, giving this wine a lingering, dusty finish. Bright, elegant
and long.

2019 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc
Chante-Predrix¢s white Chateauneuf is a 50:50 blend of White Grenache and
Clairette. On the nose, the wine is very aromatic, with peach, nectarine,
mandarin and lemon. It¢s very floral too, with blossom, petals and
honeysuckle. On the palate, you get pear, tart nectarine, orange pith,
lemon curd and marmalade. This wine is wonderfully bold, plump and round,
but there¢s just the right amount of acidity here to keep everything nicely
balanced.