Richard

"Digger" > wrote

> >I am a vegetarian and have been all my life.

> Not unless you were never breast fed.

Incorrect.

If we have no problem drinking the breast milk of other creatures, you
hardly have an issue with drinking ones mothers breast milk?

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN, but also eats eggs and milk products.
This is the most 'popular' form of Vegetarianism.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

> >Of course milk is not a vegan food source!

> Thank you.
>
> >Of course it is a vegetarian food source.

> Only to those who want to include themselves alongside
> true vegetarians that abstain from all animal products.
> There aren't any vegetables in milk, but go ahead and
> call yourself a vegetarian if it's what you want to do.

Once again, the word vegetarian has nothing to do with vegetables. There are
many food categories such as grains, fruit, dairy products.

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN, but also eats eggs and milk products.
This is the most 'popular' form of Vegetarianism.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

> >Vegetarians have no problem with animal by-products such as milk.

> True vegetarians that feed exclusively on veg do have
> a problem with animal by-products and abstain from
> them wherever they can. Modern vegetarians such
> as the lacto-ovo or pesco type aren't so concerned..

Exaclty! And these are the most common type of vegetarians.

> >The animal is not killed for their production.

> Irrelevant.

Not if that is the principal reason you use to make the choice.

> >> A lion is an obligate carnivore. It cannot live on veg.

> >You are confusing potential with actuality.

> No. I'm giving you an example of a suckling obligate
> carnivore that belies your rule that says
> "No meat = vegetarian."

Yes, they do not eat meat. Vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat.
Different types of vegetarians break this down further. But the majority of
vegetarians just don't eat meat. For example I know many vegetarians who
keep cats with a vegetarian diet. Now you're not going to tell me that cats
are herbivores, yet they have never eaten meat so they can only be referred
to as vegetarian.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

> >During the time it is a baby the
> >lion can not eat vegetables or meat. Only milk

> Then, according to your rule; "No meat = vegetarian" a
> suckling obligate carnivore cub is a vegetarian. Can
> you see yet why your rule is unworkable and specious?

No, see above.

> > So therefore it is not a meat-eater,

> At least not in the true definition of the word, yet.

But if it is killed, or in the case of the cats above, never fed meat, then
it never will be! You're jumping the gun to describe it as anything other
than what it is presently.

> >or a vegan

> Certainly not.

Naturally not.

> >but a vegetarian by definition.

> No. I lion cub is not a vegetarian, and nor will it ever be.

I am using simple meaning. You will have to explain why a creature that fits
into the category of vegetarian and has never fitted into any other category
would be called something other than what it presently is. It makes no
sense.

> >In the future it will go on to assume a carnivorous diet in the wild.

> That's true, but to say it was once a vegetarian by virtue
> of it suckling from its mother is absurd. Lion cubs are not
> vegetarians.

They are when they are, and cease to be when they start eating meat.

> > If it
> >died before this happened, then it would never have eaten meat and it

would
> >have died a vegetarian.

> No. Lion cubs are not vegetarians simply because they
> drink milk from their mother. You're very wrong on this.

Incorrect.

The majority of vegetarian drink milk.

If we have no problem drinking the breast milk of other creatures, you
hardly have an issue with drinking ones mothers breast milk?

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian: same as VEGAN, but also eats eggs and milk products.
This is the most 'popular' form of Vegetarianism.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/definitions.html

> >> Milk, whether it's from a lion or a human
> >> is animal fats and proteins, and therefore non-vegan by
> >> default.

> >Exactly.

> Then we are in agreement and have answered the
> question contained in the subject title in this thread.
> Breast feeding cannot be considered vegan.

Absolutely. I never disagreed with you in this point and did not enter the
discussion until I saw you generalise that it is not vegetarian to drink
milk, a fact that you can understand me refuting since it is blatent
misinformation and the majority of vegetarians drink milk.

Richard