Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default I needed some Emergency Food today!

On 4/28/2021 10:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/28/2021 10:23 PM, Dr. Bruce wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> Those ceramic tile roofs generally last 100 years or so, vs. 40 years
>>> for top quality architectural shingles.Â* They are quite attractive,
>>> and are popular in StL in high quality houses built pre-Depression.
>>> My nephew made the same mistake as John, buying a tile roofed house
>>> at the end of its roof life without realizing what it would cost to
>>> replace the roof.Â* It is a duplex.
>>>

>> https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../3020897_zpid/
>>

>> It's not a bad looking style of houses, but they must be very dark and
>> gloomy inside.
>>

> Not only do they have small windows, many houses built in that era had a
> lot of dark wood trim.Â* Much was very elegant and done by skilled finish
> carpenters, but not bright.

The idea of "open concept" didn't exist back then. Homes of that era
had separate rooms for everything so no light flowed through any windows
from one room to the next. That's just the way things were built back then.

My paternal grandmother's house was built around 1911. There was a lot
of gorgeous woodwork inside but it was dark. IIRC it was mahogany. The
dining room had beautiful built-ins; glass-fronted cabinets for storing
dishes and glassware and cabinets and drawers below for storing table
linens, napkins, silverware/flatware/tableware. The staircase was
mahogany and there were built-in laundry chutes from the 2nd floor to
the basement where the old wringer-type washing machine used to be.
(Grandma did eventually replace that old thing.) The windows were
fairly large but as I said, since all the rooms were separate it always
felt dark inside the house.

Jill